6.02.2007

The Joy of (In)sects

A few months ago I noticed a couple of strange, gall-like growths on my climbing hydrangeas. My husband excitedly identified them as praying mantis egg cases. Not that I didn't believe him exactly (nature boy that he is), but I remained skeptical out of an inability to embrace such good fortune. The hydrangeas are now fully leafed out and in bloom, and the egg cases have long since disappeared beneath the greenery. Yesterday I spotted something tiny skittering about on the deck. It was, of course, a baby mantis. Sure enough, the hydrangeas are now covered with these beautiful babies, no bigger than my pinky fingernail. I have always loved the praying mantis and feel honored that they chose my shrubbery in which to further their species!

1 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Magpie said...

Cool. Will you watch the females eat the males?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home